Harvey Ruvin - Clerk of the Courts - Miami-Dade County, Florida

Circuit Civil Court - Collection of a Judgment

Anyone wishing to place a lien against someone first has to sue that person in small claims court and present evidence that the services rendered were not paid for.

If you want to have your final judgment entered as a lien against a real property owned by the defendant, you must obtain a certified copy at the location where your case was heard and then have it recorded at County Recorder's Office. Visit the fee schedule for a complete list of our fees.

The recorded final judgment will serve as a lien for up to 20 years from the date the judgment was signed but must be re-recorded every 10 years to stay in effect.

The Clerk's Office can also assist you in enforcing a foreign judgment.

Garnishment of Wages
If you know the name and address of the employer or the bank of the defendant, you may want to use the process of garnishment.

This is an order issued by the deputy clerk in which a third party, usually an employer or a bank, is told to hold the money until a hearing is held. At the hearing, a judge decides if the money should be awarded to you.

Writ of Execution
A Writ of Execution may be issued by a deputy clerk upon request. A Writ of Execution commands the Sheriff's Department to make demand for the amount of your final judgment from the defendant. 

This is only effective if you obtain an Instruction for Levy form from the Sheriff's Office. Complete it, provide the description and location of the property the sheriff can take from the defendant and put up for auction.

If you do not know the employer or bank of the defendant and if you do not know the location of any property which might be subject to a Writ of Execution, you may file a motion with the Clerk's Office for a Hearing in Aid of Execution. 

The judge will then issue an order for the hearing and the defendants will be served with the order and a fact information sheet.  At the hearing, the defendant will be required to reveal assets, employment and sources of income to the judge.

Copies of Judgments
Copies of items in civil case files can be obtained by visiting our office in person or mailing in your request. Visit the fee schedule for a list of our copy and certify fees.

When mailing in your request please include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the appropriate fees.