Harvey Ruvin - Clerk of the Courts - Miami-Dade County, Florida

Domestic Violence - Filing a Restraining Order

The law offers protection for victims of acts of domestic violence. Victims have the right to petition that an injunction be filed against the person inflicting the violence. An injunction orders a person to do specific things or to stop doing specific things.

The Clerk's Office is authorized by law to provide clerical assistance for preparing and filing a petition for an injunction. Once the paperwork has been completed, the court will determine if you are in danger of being victimized and a temporary injunction will be prepared. 

You can save time by completing the Domestic Violence Intake Questionnaire  before visiting the Clerk's Office. Bring the completed form to any of our four intake locations. Upon arrival at one of the intake locations, an intake specialist will assist you in the process of obtaining an injunction. Please be aware that the intake process takes a minimum of 2 hours.

A victim of domestic or repeat violence should come in person to one of the following locations:

If you have any questions, please call the Domestic Violence Advocacy Unit at 305-349-5677 or the Clerk's Office Domestic Violence Unit at 305-349-5813.

Filing Fees
There is no longer a filing fee for domestic violence cases. However, there may be a sheriff service fee if the respondent lives outside of the state of Florida. A petitioner should always check with the city and state where the respondent resides prior to coming into our office to file.

They should come with a money order or personal check made payable in the amount and name that is provided to them. If a victim is unable to pay these fees and signs an affidavit stating this, the fees can be waived until a later time. Lack of money should not keep a person who feels they are in danger from filing a petition.